The eID is an electronic proof of identity (with chip) with which you can carry out electronic transactions. You can use the eID for:
- Identification at different authorities
- Signing electronic documents
- Securely logging in to online public services
What are the eIDs?
Currently, there are 3 types of identity documents with which you can carry out the above mentioned electronical transactions.
- the electronic identity card for Belgian nationals over 12 years old
- the Kids-ID, for Belgian nationals under 12 years old
- The electronic foreigners card
To find out more about the different types of electronic identity documents and its functions, visit the website of the Federal Public Service Internal Affairs.